suicide

All matters of health and physical well being can be examined here.

suicide

Postby salamandrina » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:13 am

How would you reakt if you worked as a nurse or helper at someones privat home and someone endet up not being able to walk or even sit in their bed without any help of someone else and they plan their suicide?
I think one think would be informing the persons you work for and deciding what to do even if she told you that by trusting you and not wanting you to share it with everybody

The person asked the veterinary to put her two cats to sleep as she can't take care of them anymore herself,and each time she has to leave for hospital as an example its a problem.
One of the things made her having still some pleasure are their cats thought. So when they are gone the one think convincing me she wouldn't pass a doing this would be gone too
Last edited by salamandrina on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freedom
salamandrina
Bad Seed

Postby pilvikki » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:29 pm

i'm not exactly sure i understand the question. are you saying that someone is asking for an assisted suicide or that they want help to euthanize the cats or both? or they're just talking about it as in wishful thinking?
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby emanresu » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:36 am

As a nurse or as an in-home assistant employed by a company, I would hope the first consideration would be to preserve life. I don't necessarily disagree with euthanasia as an individual's right but it's nothing to be considered without the counsel of professionals or others who may have been in the same situation but changed their minds. That he or she trusts you not to betray what was told in confidence means very little in this situation, especially if they are considering the option in a depressed state of mind, and considering your potential guilt if you remain silent.
Are we there yet?
emanresu
Trapped Under Ice

Postby salamandrina » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:17 pm

What I said was that the lady doesn't want to live anymore as she can't walk anymore and lies in Bed.
As she doesn't want to live anymore and can't take care of her two cats she asked the Vet to give them the final shot last wednesday(when I asked the question she had told me the plans)
I did inform my employeur, they did inform the social assistent of the neigbourhood,her doctor came by and she is normally admitted in hospital on monday...
However he has put 'Urgent hospitalisation' and still asked her to take care herself to phone to the clinic and an ambulance ect.And when she phoned on thursday they said 'yes you can come on monday'
Well.....Its a plan to see what has happend exactly the first time she went to hospital(she still walked in her apartment and sometimes with a arm to help her walk,went to this clinic to be able to walk better and after one week went out without being able to walk at all! They injekted her something and the doctor did say it helps not allways but with some people to be in better condition but she did not mention it could her put in the opposite condition. And she had first hesitated that first time to go as she had her cats and normally wasn't able to leave.(We then orgonized as it was normally for three days only(and was a whole week)
freedom
salamandrina
Bad Seed

Postby pilvikki » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:24 pm

i feel so bad for her, it's not even a life, merely existence. i take it that she has no relatives able to lend any assistance?

has she spoken to you since? is she any better?

how are you yourself coping?

it's easy to say now, but i very much doubt i'd want to around, given the same circumstances.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby chicklin » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:52 am

Its a very sad situation for all concerned. I would feel the same as this lady does - if I had to have my cats put to sleep just because I could no longer look after them, and I had no-one else to care for or make me feel cared about, and with all the health problems this lady has - what is the point of it all?
...I'd consider that suicide would be a very attractive option. This is not living - its merely existing...going through the motions....and in this situation you would surely be asking yourself..'what's the point?'
However, as far as you're concerned Salmandrina, I think you did the best thing you could, this was too big a thing for you to shoulder alone, you did the right thing in telling the authorities....now they can decide what to do. You told them in an effort to make things better for this lady so don't feel bad that you broke a confidence...you had little choice.
You did what you did with the best of intentions.
Karma will always come back and get you so be nice to everyone
chicklin
Trapped Under Ice

Postby salamandrina » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:18 am

I spoke dailly with her ,each time I came and help her in the mornings.
And normally she will be admitted to hospital on monday as a nurse can
do better work as for certainmedical care she needs, and it is also to find out how it comes that she can not walk at all now while she could walk (with difficulties but walk)before those injektions three weeks ago...
freedom
salamandrina
Bad Seed

Return to Health