Museums

Are you a starving artist, a patron of the arts, or merely looking for an outlet for your creative talents? Tell us all about it here.

Museums

Postby meadow » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:48 pm

what was the last museum you visited? where was it located?

do you enjoy them?

i went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. it's at 5th Ave. and 82nd St. it's right on Central Park!

it was AMAZING! and huge! i spent about 4 hours in there and barely scratched the surface. i love museums so i was disappointed i didn't get to visit more in NYC and make more trips into the City.

and it only cost me a $10 donation!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby bea » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:03 pm

The last museum i visit was Baliffgate Museum in Alnwick which used to be St Marys church - my parents got married in it. It was great. downstairs they had loads of educational interactive shit like armour and rubbings and songs - my favourite being 'thou shall have a fishy' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34dIaRB-R5g

http://www.bailiffgatemuseum.co.uk/

then upstairs is a gallery space and at the time was displaying work by stella vine

All in all a jolly day out

Although.. i resent the fatc that most of them charge you to get in. I think if you wanna expand your mind then you should be allowed everywhere to learn and engage.
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby spithray » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:17 pm

bea wrote:'thou shall have a fishy'

Let's make fish the dish of the day. :biggrin:
Rose: If you're an alien, why do you sound like you're from the north?
Doctor: Lots of planets have a north.
spithray
Outlaw Torn

Postby mdkilmer » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:36 pm

The last time I was in a museum was a few years ago when AussieMike visited.

We went to the Carnegie Museum, where we wandered through the gems room (diamonds, emeralds, rubies, etc) and the dinosaur exhibit. The Carnegie's dinosaur exhibit is one of the best of the world and was the beneficiary of the famous "bone wars" battle of the 1800's. We never even finished the main floor in all the time we wandered, and there are two more floors above.

It's always a good time there, and it was even more fun showing Mike around.
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Bedford » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:59 pm

The Frazier International History Museum. They have a lot of cool weapons, including a collection from the Royal Armouries of Britain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frazier_In ... ory_Museum

(I took the interior pictures myself).
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Postby Sarah » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:00 am

The Louvre and Musee D'Orsay in Paris. They were both lovely, though I was in a pissed off mood when I was at the Louvre, which slightly hindered my ability to enjoy it as much as I know I would have otherwise.
Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.
Sarah
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:37 am

i'm so jealous, Sarah!!! i would love to go to The Louvre. *sigh* one day!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Sarah » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:28 am

I know, everything I do in Europe is like a dream come true. You will love it when you see it. I think I have 40000 pictures of the outside of it alone haha.
Hope for the best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed.
Sarah
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Sandra » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:31 am

Sarah wrote:I know, everything I do in Europe is like a dream come true. You will love it when you see it. I think I have 40000 pictures of the outside of it alone haha.

Hey Sarah, you should post some of your photos, I'd love to see them :D
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby skin » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:21 pm

Last time in London we visited the British Museum, Natural History museum, HMS Belfast and a 30 mins just-look-inside Tate Modern. Next time we'll spend a bit more time in Tate Modern and most likely visit some other museums too.

We're planning on going to Paris for a few days just to see L'Origin du Monde and Le déjeuner sur l'herbe, both hanging in Musee d'Orsay (which -being an old railway statation- is a marvelous building in itself).

Wondering now why we don't visit museums here at home?
Don't you hate it being in an utter good mood?
skin
Bad Seed

Postby pilvikki » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:08 pm

last time i was in london i visited the bristish museum, the tate gallery, the cutty sark, the old bull and bush... that was in 1966...

my last museum in this century was probably the metropolitan museum in ny. great place! i could spend a loooong time in there, especially in the egyptian dept. [with typical luck, the hatshepsut room was closed. bah.]
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby haysi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:41 pm

Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, a couple of weeks ago. We go quite regularly as there are always new things to see.

I visited the Louvre many years ago and loved it.
"There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one's self on lies and fables.”
J W von Goeth
haysi
Stone Cold Crazy

Return to Art