paleontology

Here is a forum for those among us whose mind is cluttered with factoids that border on useless information. It is a place to obtain such information for future reference.

paleontology

Postby Sandra » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:37 am

I love Ross in friends, even though he is a bit nerdy and isn't a real palentologist (no really he isn't)

It got me thinking and that hurts my brain, so anyway heres the thing:

How do paleontologists know how old fossils are?

If DNA was found on a fossil, Is it even remotely possible, (since we have come so far in cloning)they could clone a dinosaur?
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Re: paleontology

Postby MargeC » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:39 am

Sandra wrote:I love Ross in friends, even though he is a bit nerdy and isn't a real palentologist (no really he isn't)

If DNA was found on a fossil, Is it even remotely possible, (since we have come so far in cloning)they could clone a dinosaur?

I'm fiiiiiiiiine. I'm fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine!

Ross is the best, he makes Friends.

Paleontologists check a dinosaur's age by cloning it and then checking it for wrinkles, stuff like that. If that fails, they try carbon dating the fossil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dating

We do have dinosaur protein, :suprised: :shock: :shock: from which we can maybe extract/reconstruct DNA: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6548719.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2237114.stm

It may be difficult to impossible to ever build a creature from DNA alone, but I suppose the process would look something like current cloning, taking an egg, extracting the nucleus, reinserting dinoDNA, making a pet t-rex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloning

They probably wouldn't survive in the wild with global warming, bodies maladapted to warm temperatures, although I'm open to arguments on that, don't know that much about dinos.
Bad Seed
MargeC
Frantic

Postby sooz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:52 am

Sandra wrote:I love Ross in friends, even though he is a bit nerdy and isn't a real palentologist (no really he isn't)

Do you get that sore brain thing when you think to hard :lol:

What a fascinating subject. I'll get back to this one.
sooz

Postby Sandra » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:10 am

MargeC wrote:I'm fiiiiiiiiine. I'm fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine!

Ross is the best, he makes Friends.

He is eh, I used to like Chandler but Ross has grown in me, I find him very amusing, Imagine knowing someone like him :shock:

MargeC wrote: I'm open to arguments on that, don't know that much about dinos.

you argue......... don't know much about dinos, is this a first :tongue: :wink:

Thanks for all the info.

sooz wrote:Do you get that sore brain thing when you think to hard :lol:

yeah, but it's not funny, it really hurts my head when I've got something on my mind :roll:

I've been having a good old look on the net about palentology and dinasaurs as I understand it, there is no viable DNA left from the dinosaurs, since in fossils the organic material has, over the millenia, been completely replaced by rock. But I'm still looking.

I really find this subject amazing, am I turning into a "geek"
:cool:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby sooz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:15 am

Good topic to get into, certainly does not make you a “geek”.

Did you know that people didn't always know that fossils were relics of once-living organisms.

Fossils help us study the evolution of today's plants and animals
Fossils show us the sites of ancient seas, lakes and forests
Fossils even record ancient climates
Over billions of years, countless organisms - from tiny bacteria to giant trees - have become fossils, which I had more time on this, but not this week.

But have you ever asked yourself What Killed The Dinosaurs?
sooz

Postby bea » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:14 am

It was me. I did it! Take that Dinosaurs. :spank:
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby MargeC » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:27 am

sooz wrote:Good topic to get into, certainly does not make you a “geek”.

Did you know that people didn't always know that fossils were relics of once-living organisms.

Fossils help us study the evolution of today's plants and animals
Fossils show us the sites of ancient seas, lakes and forests
Fossils even record ancient climates
Over billions of years, countless organisms - from tiny bacteria to giant trees - have become fossils, which I had more time on this, but not this week.

But have you ever asked yourself What Killed The Dinosaurs?

everyone knows that. It was liver disease due to excessive party lifestyles.

My life is full of dinosaurs. My nephew is a dino freak. It disturbs me now how much he knows. Small brains soak information like sponges. "This week we're doing DINOSAURS at school!' 'How did you get on?' 'SHE DIDN'T KNOW ANNNNNY DINOSAURS!!' I pick up a toy and go 'oh look, arrrgh diplodocus' and he rolls his eyes going 'no, sperigalipethenkilatopicus'. Like 200 dinosaurs, at least, and he's only 5.

It's like as if they are some Disney created fantasy, hard to believe that large parts of our planet were once home to these big gits. That's evolution for you, I suppose: where hunting and prey is involved, nature just keeps selecting for bigger and bigger, more sharper pointy things and vicious sharp teeth. Their brains must have been awesome too. Angry twisted maniac aggressive little gits, half of them. If it moves, bite the crap out of it.
Bad Seed
MargeC
Frantic

Postby Sandra » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:01 am

bea wrote:It was me. I did it! Take that Dinosaurs. :spank:

there we go sooz sorted, bea did it :lol:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:21 pm

there is one thing i'm baffled over: all we ever see are brown/greenish illustrations of dinos. what, thay hadn't discovered primary colours yet? if you're T-rex, you can be what friggin' colour you ever want to be as there were not too many around to bother you. should not the aquatic ones be whale-toned, "birdies" lighter beneath?

just wondering. if we did create a dino, what colour would it be then?
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby Sandra » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:57 pm

MargeC wrote:My life is full of dinosaurs. My nephew is a dino freak. It disturbs me now how much he knows. Small brains soak information like sponges. "This week we're doing DINOSAURS at school!' 'How did you get on?' 'SHE DIDN'T KNOW ANNNNNY DINOSAURS!!' I pick up a toy and go 'oh look, arrrgh diplodocus' and he rolls his eyes going 'no, sperigalipethenkilatopicus'. Like 200 dinosaurs, at least, and he's only 5.

lolol, my nephew is the same, dinosaur mad, we were trying to get him into spiderman but nope, nothing can be like his dinosaurs, it amazes me what he can tell me about them and he's only 7 :confused:

pilvikki wrote:
just wondering. if we did create a dino, what colour would it be then?

In all honesty, I think my nephew would probably want to keep it brownish/green, thats the colour of most of the ones he has.
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby bea » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:30 am

I would want a pink one with diamonds for eyes and rubies for teeth!
“Eyes that do not cry, do not see”
~ Swedish Proverb
bea
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Sandra » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:44 am

bea wrote:I would want a pink one with diamonds for eyes and rubies for teeth!

yeah cool, but I'd rather mine the other way about :biggrin:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby Sandra » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:33 am

I was thinking about this last night. What about "nessie" the lochness monster, is there any truth in that :?:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby sooz » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:20 am

Sandra wrote:I was thinking about this last night. What about "nessie" the lochness monster, is there any truth in that :?:

:shock: :?: :?:
sooz

Postby sooz » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:24 am

Anyway back to the topic

Dinosaurs spent 170 million years on Earth before they suddenly died out about 65 million years ago. After dinosaurs disappeared, mammals took over.

It turns out that small mammals lived during the reign of dinosaurs, too. And over the last few years, a flurry of new discoveries has revealed what these creatures were like.

They were not the pathetic, little creatures that scientists had previously imagined. In fact, these mammals were well-adapted to their habitats, and they survived alongside dinosaurs quite well.

Last year, for example, researchers looked at the remains of a chipmunk-like creature that lived 150 million years ago. Fossils included a lower jaw, skull fragments, and 40 percent of a skeleton.

Based on their size, shape, and arrangement, the animal's foot and limb bones indicate that it did a lot of digging. It's the first animal of that era shown to have this type of behavior.

Everything seemed to be going well in the world of the Dino. Do you think the small mammals and dinosaurs were already on their way out before the asteroid hit. I caught the end of a documentary and they were saying that greenery foods were gone and the sea levels were rising to a level that would wipe them both out. What do you really think it would be like to actually clone one of these creatures Sandra, finding out their intelligence, their reason for being. What did they contribute to the planet? What was the purpose of them in the first place?
Questions Questions Questions !!
sooz

Postby Sandra » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:12 am

sooz wrote: What do you really think it would be like to actually clone one of these creatures Sandra, finding out their intelligence, their reason for being. What did they contribute to the planet? What was the purpose of them in the first place?
Questions Questions Questions !!

dunno, dunno, dunno !!! :biggrin:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:41 am

funny thing is that all "primitive" life forms, like dinos have been delegated 0 IQ by us. how do we know that they all were morons, running on mere instinct?

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby MargeC » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:17 pm

pilvikki wrote:funny thing is that all "primitive" life forms, like dinos have been delegated 0 IQ by us. how do we know that they all were morons, running on mere instinct?

cos a lot of them were just brutal killing machines and intelligence just doesn't give you that much of an edge if you are such, your niche is in killing, not thinking.
As for the others.....a bit like most other animals, really: no intelligence niche. Apart from some herding groups were social savvy is nice to have (e.g. elephants), intelligence, I don't think, is much use.

Humans and chimps, for example, DO have an intelligence niche, but both have low braun, are very social, and find and obtain food by the use of tools. The social and tool elements are big drivers towards a more and more intelligent evolved being. You need the driver. Dinosaurs never really had the driver? AFAIK

Best always to consult an expert, however: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Djnn54LVks0
Bad Seed
MargeC
Frantic

Postby Sandra » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:10 am

MargeC wrote:
Best always to consult an expert, however: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Djnn54LVks0

expert indeed lol, I'll need to show my nephew that one (what a cute little boy)

I came across this: Chinese villagers eat dinosaur bones

(AP) -- Villagers in central China dug up a ton of dinosaur bones and boiled them in soup or ground them into powder for traditional medicine, believing they were from flying dragons and had healing powers.

http://www.physorg.com/news102762937.html

Can you just imagine the palaeontologists faces :shock:
Sandra
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby pilvikki » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:44 am

:kickbutt:

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Next

Return to Esoteric Trivia