Iwo Jima flag-raiser dies

Tell us what's happenng in your part of the world.

Iwo Jima flag-raiser dies

Postby Yogi » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:48 am

The last of the historic Iwo Jima flag-raisers died recently. I've seen this picture a million times and never realized any of the original participants were still around.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2 ... dies/9532/

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.
Yogi
Big Kahuna

Postby pilvikki » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:31 pm

i don't get it, what took years to correct?

kids' grandad was in WWII, he's 87 as well, so there are still some people from that war left.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby mdkilmer » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:41 am

The famous flag-raising picture was a photo-op recreation of the original event. The news media didn't get a picture of the real thing, so they rounded up a group of soldiers and had them pose for the camera take. The guys in in recreation were erroneously given credit for the original flag-raising.

For years the media insisted that their recreation was the "real" one. It wasn't until the mid-80's that the Press admitted that there "may have been" another, earlier event. I'm glad to see that the real participants finally have gotten the credit that they should have gotten from the first.
<b>"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."</b>

...Albert Schweitzer
mdkilmer
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby meadow » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:57 am

thanks for the heads up, Marv! i had no idea....now my interest is piqued!
"i hope you flip your bike over and knock your two front teeth out, you selfish son of a bitch!" ~Wedding Crashers
meadow
Outlaw Torn

Postby Bedford » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:38 pm

One of my great-uncles died at Iwo Jima. SO for me this is an end of an era. Of course, now the island is being called Iwo To. I can live with that; reminds me of the Bunker Hill/Breed's Hill flap.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Return to In The News