Panspermia

A forum for pointed and structured discussions of any topic. The rules of engagement are more rigorously enforced here than in the other forums.

Panspermia

Postby van » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:40 am

Kia ora

Following on from Yogi's post "Synthetic Life forms" what are your views on "Panspermia"?
I am currently reading Hoyle and Wickramasinghe "Diseases from Space" wherein they postulate that we are constantly bombarded with organisms from space which at times cause plague like illness

Their arguments make a lot of sense, given the superstitious fears exhibited in the past, whenever a comet was sighted
While we for the most part believe that space is a sterile environment, science has discovered that life exists in many environments wherein we previously thought any form of life was impossible

In particular I have been impressed with their research regarding various outbreaks providing proof that many diseases, in particular the "Flu" is more a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, rather then it being spread from person to person

Given the hype about the birdflu, interesting reading
What say you?

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby Silke » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:51 pm

my thoughts? "what the heck is that????"
Superstition brings bad luck.
Silke
Stone Cold Crazy

Postby van » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:23 pm

Kia ora Silke

Hypothesis

The first known mention of the idea was in the writings of the 5th century BCE Greek philosopher Anaxagoras, but panspermia hypothesis was dormant until the nineteenth century when it was revived in modern form by several scientists, including Hermann von Helmholtz in 1879 and, somewhat later, by Svante Arrhenius in 1903. Panspermia can be said to be either interstellar (between star systems) or interplanetary (between planets in the same solar system). There is as yet no compelling evidence to support or contradict it, although the majority view holds that panspermia — especially in its interstellar form — is unlikely given the challenges of survival and transport in space.

Sir Fred Hoyle (1915–2001) and Chandra Wickramasinghe (born 1939) were important proponents of the hypothesis who further contended that lifeforms continue to enter the Earth's atmosphere, and may be responsible for epidemic outbreaks, new diseases, and the genetic novelty necessary for macroevolution. This extension has also been adopted by proponents of Cosmic ancestry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby pilvikki » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:41 pm

that Something would have to survive solar radiation, absolute zero, entry into the atmoshere and be totally invisible.

you'd think such a substance would just simply wipe us out. end of story.
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby van » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:22 am

Kia ora Hooch

Given what has been recorded in history, it has had a good go at doing just that
In earlier times, people were more widely scattered, and according to Hoyle the microbes themselves are also not like a blanket covering the earth, but patchy in their distribution
Natural immunity has also played a part, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Postby threenorns » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:04 am

i'm wondering why something that can survive interstellar depths would even bother with us.

i can for that theory, certainly. i've always doubted the earth was a bubble poised in a vacuum jar and to think that We are It is just plain hubris.
threenorns
Helpless

Postby pilvikki » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:23 am

ok, what i've read is that flus are mutations from such as cowpox due to the close quarters in many parts of the world.

we need no imports, we are busy manufacturing right in the comfort of our own homes...
Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53)
pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Postby solana » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:22 am

hey bill... nice to see you...:)

interesting read I am sure...

what do I think?

hogwash!

thought provoking, interesting, but still.... hogwash.

:shrug:
.fcv/v"
solana
Hero Of The Day

Postby van » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:02 pm

Kia ora Kath

what do I think?

hogwash!

thought provoking, interesting, but still.... hogwash.

Now what makes you say that?

Arohanui
Shalom
Bill
van
Hero Of The Day

Return to Debate and Discussion