Yes, you have color

Software and hardware questions and advice for the novice and the professional.
Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Yes, you have color

Post by Bedford »

For some reason, my printer doesn't realize it has color. When it shows its bar to show ink levels for black and in color, it shows color as a question mark. I tried reinserting the cartridge, but it still can't read it.

Any ideas?
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.

Yogi
Big Kahuna

Post by Yogi »

This is a hard one to troubleshoot at a distance in that I have no clue what your setup is all about. But, that won't stope me for giving you some general guidelines. :D

It's not clear if only one color cartridge has the problem, or all of them. If it is only one of the cartridges, try swaping the defective one with a good one. If the symptom follows the cardridge, then the problem is the cartridge. If the symptom remains in the same color slot, then the problem is in the print head.

If all the cardridges have the same problem, then go to the last paragraph wherein I mention reinstalling the drivers.

Assuming you have an inkjet printer, it may be time to clean the print head. You may have software in your printer software to let you do this. Usually it's a bad idea to take the head out and clean it manually, but if it isn't working, you have nothing to lose. Remove all the ink cartridges and clean the slots in which they sit with a tissue. Any old dried up ink should be removed, but be careful not to scratch anything or poke holes in the ink pads.

The print head has elecrical contacts on it that are generally gold plated. Go over them with a tissue dipped in alcohol, and of course remove any dirt or ink from the contacts. Don't use a brush or anything abrasive on these contacts.

If the problem persists afer you clean the print head, then it's possible that the software drivers and/or printer software is corrupt. Try reinstalling them. You might want to go to the web site of the printer manufacturer to see if they have updates for your print drivers too.

If cleaning the print head and replacing the drivers don't do it ... check the sale papers at Best Buy. Printers are pretty cheap these days. You might want to replace the one you have.
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.

pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Post by pilvikki »

um... did you remember to take off the tape?

Bedford
Holier Than Thou

Post by Bedford »

They were ones I previously used, so there was no tape. :tongue:

Anyways, I removed both at once, and then put back in together, and the color is working once again.
:teach: The Professor Penguin of Brainformation :GF:

<i>"This is the greatest concentration of talent and genius, except for those times when Bedford eats alone.”</i>-- JFK, were he alive today.

pilvikki
Holier Than Thou

Post by pilvikki »

:woot: