My New Laptop

Software and hardware questions and advice for the novice and the professional.
Damsel

My New Laptop

Post by Damsel »

I have a new laptop that my Daddy bought for me and it has Windows XP. It was brand new except that my Cousin and Girlfriend played with it while it was at my Daddy's for a few months...

So it is set up with user names of some sort when Windows first opens and it says to click on username...

If I put the wipeout disk in it, will it erase everything on there and make it like brand new again? This is what I did with my home desk computer.

Also...another question is how do you connect a laptop to the Internet? I want to be able to take it out of the house and use it but how?

I am totally confused. I have not even gotten to read the manuals and they will probably just confuse me. :(

It plays DVDs...how do I find out if it can burn CDs though?

Yogi
Big Kahuna

Re: My New Laptop

Post by Yogi »

Damsel wrote:I have a new laptop that my Daddy bought for me and it has Windows XP. It was brand new except that my Cousin and Girlfriend played with it while it was at my Daddy's for a few months...

So it is set up with user names of some sort when Windows first opens and it says to click on username...

If I put the wipeout disk in it, will it erase everything on there and make it like brand new again? This is what I did with my home desk computer.
Not sure what a "whipeout" disk is. If it's the restoration disk that typically comes with store bought computers, then yes. It most likely will re-format and install all the programs that came with the computer. You will, however, lose any updates that were put into the system by doing this.

Also...another question is how do you connect a laptop to the Internet? I want to be able to take it out of the house and use it but how?
Like any other computer, you will need a modem to connect to the Internet. Most computers come with one installed already.

I am totally confused. I have not even gotten to read the manuals and they will probably just confuse me. :(

It plays DVDs...how do I find out if it can burn CDs though?
If you can burn CDs, there is a program on your computer that helps you do this - it's probably called Nero, but it can be anything. If your DVD reader is also a CD-r/w device, then you have all you need to burn.

I would be surprised if your computer is missing any of the above. All you need to do is identify the things you are looking for, and unfortunately, that means you may have to read the manuals. :sigh:
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.

Damsel

Post by Damsel »

It is a restoration disk. I call it a wipe out disk. Will it *totally* remove everything and start from new?

Also, is it possible there is any kind of tracking device my Daddy could have had my Cousin install because I don't want to be monitored what I do online... I almost feel as though this gift is a spy tool. I am paranoid.